How to Get Abs: Your Complete Guide
It’s summer and you want to show off your washboard abs. One problem, you can’t see them! Read to find out how to get and keep your eye-popping abs! Your abdominals are one of the strongest muscles in your body that get more use than you may think. Every time you bend over and stand back up, your abdominals contract. Your abs are vital in keeping your back straight and powerful.
Gaining abdominal strength
To have your abs showing, you’ll first need to make them stronger. Adding size to your abs can be done by following a strength program and training them 2 times per week. Some of our favorite abdominal exercises include:
- Flutter Kicks:
- Lay on the ground with your back flat. Raise one leg up about 10 inches from the ground. Keep your other leg about 3 inches from the ground using your abs to hold them up. Now raise and lower your legs in a continuous ‘flutter’ motion for 30-60 seconds.
- Leg Raises
- This exercise is very similar to flutter kicks. For this exercise, you should lay flat on the ground with both feet 3 inches from the ground. Next, using your abs, keep both of your legs straight and raise them into the air forming a 90-degree angle. Finally, lower your legs back down to 3 inches above the ground. That completes one rep.
- Decline Weighted Russian Twists
- For this exercise, you will need a decline bench and a medicine ball. First, mount the decline bench holding the appropriate weighted medicine ball of your choice. Next, lower yourself halfway down the decline bench using your abs to keep your back flat. Next, twist your body to the right holding the medicine ball. Now twist your body to the left, and finally return to the center to complete one rep.
- Lay flat on your stomach. Next, raise yourself with your arms so your body is resting on your elbows. Finally, shift the rest of your bodyweight to the tips of your toes. Keep your body 6-12 inches off the ground for 30 seconds to complete one rep.
While following a weight training program to increase the strength of your abdominals, you’ll simultaneously need to lower your body fat. Seems impossible right? While it certainly is challenging, we have the solutions you’ll need! To lower your body fat, you’ll need to start in the kitchen. You will want to increase your protein intake. Read here to find out how much protein you should be consuming. You will also need to add some cardio to your training program. We recommend 30-45 minutes of cardio about 3 days per week. With the right nutrition and training program, you should aim to lose about 1 pound of body fat per week.
By following a proper nutrition and strength training program, you can increase your abdominal strength and lower body fat in a matter of weeks. Showing your abs off is not a quick process and it requires much determination and discipline. Do not give up! Keep at it! What are your tips for getting abs? Comment below!